"Just keep following, the heartlines on your hand!

Keep it up! I know you can! Just keep following! The heartlines on your hand! Cause I am…" -- Florence and the Machine

(this is Jo, of Photography by Jo, in her mothers wedding dress. <3)


You guys, I've started about... 7 blogs since my last one and I haven't finished a damn one. It wasn't an intentional hiatus, just life happens, ya know?

I'll finish all of those other blogs at some point, because they all touch on subjects that are near and dear to me, but I just am not ready and can't find the words to really explain what they're all about. They're kind of heavy... about life, and love and death, and about the nanny files... but the thing is, each one started with a purpose, and I intend to treat them that way. They deserve their own space and attention.

So, a new blog! :)

Where did we leave off? Oh yes, the announcement of my facebook page:  Mflave Photography. I was really nervous about announcing that by the way. It felt like I was giving emotional birth. There has just been so much push back in the past with this whole endeavor that I was afraid that I was going to receive the same negative feedback... and I did, but not in the manner I expected. And the positives have FAR outweighed the negatives. I reached 100 "likes" in a much faster time period than I was expecting (not that that matters at all), and just passed the 200 mark. Not a super impressive number, but since I haven't been shooting paid clients often, I'm pretty happy.

Which leads me to this (attention: brag status ahead): I've had kind of a big week! Well, big for me. I've sort of found myself in a position to have things to brag about. Okay, admittedly that sounded a little strange and sad... (haha)  but I promise that its not either of those things! But I've just been so content with my little Martha bubble the past few years thats its been really nice to almost just... stay out of the spotlight (well, with the exception of one part of my life, but thats not in the spotlight any more and for that, I'm more than grateful than I can say. Its given me time to do my own thing). Anyway back to the bigness...!

(thats what she said)

Anyway, in the past 2 weeks, I've booked 5 sessions (most scheduled to kick off the 2016), had one bridal/budoir session, had my birthday, an IPS (in person sales) session, 3 thanksgivings, and had a rather large print sale, with another print sale pending. And thats not taking into consideration that there's still some leads floating out there to keep me busy into the rest of the year.

I am not sure what happened. I am not sure what sparked the fire, if it was me, or them, or the season, or the cosmos (mmmmm cosmopolitans... i want one now. Not the same cosmos though, flave, pull it together... focus...). But something shifted. And how wonderful it would be if it would continue?

I'm not going to brag about the money (although since I haven't had income in years, that is definitely a positive of this), but I'm just proud of the work I've been doing thus far. I've been studying and student-ing and researching pretty much non stop for like... 6 months. So I was really excited about the session I had with Jo, and how beautiful the images turned out and I was even more elated to find out that she love love LOVED them (there will be a blog about that specific session soon). It felt so wonderful to help someone feel so wonderful and beautiful and positive about themselves. And those feelings even bled into her professional life; she's now kicking ass with her own business and she told me that she just feels over all amazing. And it feels really good to be part of that transformation. <3 (not that she needed transforming, shes probably one of the most genuine and spectacular people I've ever met. Her soul is beautiful and her outer beauty is a complete reflection of that fact).

Its really hard to put yourself out there, creatively, emotionally, mentally, financially... whatever. Its really fucking hard. And any one that tells you otherwise is a god damn dirty liar. People can be so quick to tear you down. Its creation vs criticism. Its much easier to attack someone while sitting with the glow of a computer screen on your face than it is to (try and) create something meaningful to someone, and lets be honest, creating is a much better (and more fun, more productive, more positive, more gooder) use of your time.

I had someone tell me a few days ago that putting yourself out there is always worth the risk. And while I agree, taking the first few steps is really hard, especially when you feel like you're doing it on your own. And I am for the most part (this is not a reflection of my friends being negligent, in fact they've been nothing short of amazing and kind and supportive, but they're not the ones actually DOING the work and they certainly aren't personally effected if I fail... but I definitely am). This person even went as far to tell me that they were proud of me. Now thats all encompassing because I had so much to be excited about, but I'm pretty sure that it was directed at my gusto, and my little successes (although big to me). Cuz its fucking hard to put yourself out there, and its really affirming to have it recognized positively (especially since in the past the only voices making themselves heard were the big meanie nay sayers. So this is such a wonderful change in the tide!)

Now, I'm an infant in terms of this adventure, I know this. I have much to learn in terms of... everything photography, editing, business shiznit. I'm new. I'm green. I'm a rookie. But, if this is what being a rookie looks and feels like, than I am MORE than alright with that. The amount that I'm learning, and the amount of positive (and constructive) feedback that I'm getting is really uplifting and I am slowly starting to see the beginning pieces of the puzzle fit together in a manner that not only makes sense to me but also is motivating to me. And in terms of the "service" I'm "providing"...  well I think the client reactions speak for themselves, and its allllll good.

I know that in a month or two I'm going to feel overwhelmed and confused and have a whole new set of problems that cause me too loose my mind, but I already know that. And I believe that I'm gaining the resources to be able to navigate through those challenges a little easier than I would have a year or so ago. And I know for a fact that all of this, the good, the scary, the new, the old, the everything is not a new journey. I'm not the first person to land on the moon. Every person who has every stepped foot into a new hobby or passion or experience has taken those first steps with trepidation, hope and a little bit of "fuck it lets do it live". And thats exactly what I'm doing.

There's no greater lesson here or some underlying message I'm trying to send, other then: this where I am, and this is what I've been up to, and today, this is who I am. I'm excited and thrilled and terrified and hype and all of the fun things that come with starting something new. But probably the most important feeling is that I feel really good about all of it.

This isn't a marketing ploy, just a little honesty and a little "'attaguy" from me to me. Because sometimes feeling confident in your successes, however small can inspire the same sort of feeling in someone else. This about as personal as it gets folks, it may not be juicy or gossip worthy... but, remember... putting yourself out there is really fucking hard (I guess there IS a lesson here... lol BOOM. Mic drop!). Creation vs criticism. I'm creating my own happy. And I'd love to share a little of that with you, too. My doors are always open. Come eat at my happiness table, pull up a chair, we'll make room, cuz the more the merrier.

Go forth and be awesome.
~your flave

Comments

Popular Posts