So strap your bones right to the seat. Come on in and don't be shy.

 Just to make your day complete,  You might get baked into a pie!"

 Yeah. Thats The Magic School Bus theme song lyrics. THIS IS A NO JUDGEMENT ZONE. ;)

I find myself starting all these blogs with a bit of a Flavelogue. Its like a prologue, but instead its just me giving some insight to whats about to come. I guess I like introductions? I do this when I speak to people too. I suppose it comes from studying comedy (although I don't consider myself to be a comedian, I do study it a little). The build up is almost as important (thats what she said) as the punchline, or in this case... the meat and potatoes of my blog.

So I know you all have seen me post about Camp Mahaney. Let me explain. Camp Mahaney is the home of H's mom and dad. They moved down to Stuarts Draft (aka... holy crap middle of nowhere) VA while H was in college. We call it Camp Mahaney because... well when we all go, its quite a ridiculous group of people all bunking into a house (or tents outside) with alllll our animals and we just eat, and listen to music, and have beverages, and walk around the massive outside, and have bonfires and play with animals...

I've had the privileged the past few summers and holidays to spend time with the Mahaney families. I moved BACK in with Mike and Helene in the summer of 2012 (they needed someone to love on their little lady during the day, and I needed a place to live... sounded like a great idea. Still is!). The first few months of living here was a lot of transition for me. But once 2013 started, I have spent almost every single holiday with them. At first I was incredibly intimidated. While I've known Mike and Helene for a very long time, and while Helene and I were technically neighbors, and even though I was in her wedding... I didn't really know her family all that well at the time (other than Mary... she lives close!)

But, they are a very large and rather close family, which is a big adjustment for someone who is a child of one (and who's mother is one of two. And my moms brother lives in NY. Very awesome though. My dad came from a big family, but they are sort of scattered all over the US at this point or have since passed). I remember walking into Camp Mahaney in 2013 and it was just buzzing with energy. There were 4 dogs, a bunch of cats (who I didn't really see much of at that visit) and her parents. But since it was so late at night, I had no idea what was behind all the other sleeping doors.

When I woke up that morning, I realized that there were in fact 4 OTHER dogs (other than the ones I knew about) and their owners (which equated to 4 other people I didn't know were there). By the time I got out of the shower, there were probably no less than 17 people running around the house, cooking, wining, beering, chatting, playing Can Jam (look it up. its legit), wandering the grounds (which there was a lot to wander). By the time I got ready... there were exponentially more people and dogs. It was living being at adult camp. I was literally shell shocked.

It took me about 2 hours to fully comprehend the growing numbers. It was quite literally fascinating to me, and incredibly intimidating. I consider myself an extrovert, but it took me some to get used to... I gotta be honest. I had just bought my camera at the time, so I kind of hid behind that for a little while until I got my barrings. By about beer 3 or 4 (which by the way were HANDED to me... such service at camp mahaney!) I was settling in nicely but I'm not entirely sure I ever really settled in until later that night.

Its startling to be in a large family setting (I think that year there were about 40 people there at the most busy). Its not that my house was lonely. It most certainly wasn't! My mothers parties were full of fun and eccentric people of all walks of life: important politicians, friendly neighbors, doctors, teachers, musicians and artists (my personal favorite), and of course my crew of derelicts and crazies. It wasn't an uncommon thing for the us to have noise complaints during our summer parties, and it was an added bonus to have the police chief himself answer our door to send his boys home ;)

But theres a different element when the majority of the people at a gathering are people who have known each other their whole life (aka lifelong family). Initially I felt like an observer of a social experiment I wasn't really familiar with...

but then without me even realizing it, I had become part of the tribe. And I've never looked back.

They don't know every single hardship or celebration that I've had in my life. They don't know about the silliness I've participated in or all the boys I've had in my life. They don't know what I looked like in diapers, or what my GPA was in high school. They don't know about how I used to sit on my roof and wish on stars, or every detail about my dance career or teaching adventures or how many times I've moved. But it didn't matter to them. They wanted to know who I was right then and there, and were wanted to know about all chapters of my life including the ones to come...  and are now very much a part of my today. And they have become such an integral support system in my life. They've never once made me feel strange, or out of place, and they've always been encouraging with everything I've ever brought to their attention. They have an affinity for the beverages, and movies and laughing and late nights. They opened up their arms to me that weekend and have never once looked back. I can feel their love and acceptance even from here.

Its something I very much value in a family. And that kind of unconditional love was something I was very much searching for during that time in my life. And now here we are. I spend the holidays with them, anniversaries, birthdays, cookouts, births (well, I stay home for those... but still), weddings etc etc (sometimes its just 5 of us, sometimes its 40 of us), but there has never ever been a moment during any of those moments I've spend with them that I haven't felt the warmth of their hearts. I've led a rather... "road less traveled" kind of life, and its cause a lot of ups and downs in relationship. So to me, it means every thing to have a fRamily thats so completely invested in love that they'd take in a stray, and welcome me into their home as if I was on of their own.

They have quite literally become my second family. Ruth and Mark are completely unmatched in their ability to make someone feel at home when they are far from their physical one, as if they were there are along.  Even some of my images are on their walls, and jokes we've created together have become common place. Its a really neat feeling to have that kind of a relationship, and I learn something new about what being part of a large family is. And sometimes that "something new" is: Card against humanity can get a little real ;) And even currently, as I'm writing this, Mary and Lizzie (Helenes beautiful and kind and incredibly accomplished sisters. Seriously, how did this family produce this many stunning individuals?!?), are passed out on my couch snuggling Amelia and Ians toys. And While they're sleeping, I'm working on mood boards for Johns (he's helenes brother, he's so amazingly cool and fun unwaveringly ambitious) fiance Jo (from Photography by Jo, also becoming one of my good friends) for her pre bridal Victorian/marie antoinette/steampunk shoot (i'm going to put so much hairspray in that girls hair... lol). Its really quite simply, wonderful to have these people in my life. They're so welcoming and wonderful. And its been quite an honor to be introduced as one of their own... their "sister".

I'm borderline gushing, I know this. But I can't help it. During a time where I was really starting a new life in a :newish" place, with a pretty bruised ego and heart, I found a home away from home. And not just in physical location, but in a feeling.

Its unlike anything else. It takes a special person to love someone like a daughter when they are not their own. And I feel pretty honored. Its not a small thing. And it takes a pretty spectacular group of individuals to love someone as if they were part of their own family, and I found an entire f(r)amily.

I've posted all these images on facebook, but here's the link to the 4th of July album in case you want to look through it. I normally don't post an entire album like this... but hey... why not? I over post as it is, why stop now ;)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152871082140047.1073741833.501715046&type=1&l=7d71201fd4

I look forward to becoming more of a part of their family as the years go on. Its truly an honor to be a part of it. Words cannot do justice how much I value their love and support and family-ship. I'm so lucky, and I'm better for knowing them. Thank you. <3

go forth and continue to be awesome,
~flave

Comments

Popular Posts